U2 Getting Intimate With Glendale ArizonaOctober 21, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Posted in Concert, Photography, Review, Rock, Social Networking | Leave a comment
Tags: Arizona, Audio, Cameras, Concert, Glendale, Massive, Phoenix, technology, U2, Video
Have you ever tried to be intimate? With a stadium full of people? U2 has.
What does it take to get intimate with 50,000+ people simultaneously? Well, as far as I can tell…a whole lot of cash. Way more cash than getting intimate with one or two people for sure. I’m talking the kind of cash even a supergroup like U2 needs to round up a corporate sponsor like Blackberry for.
Once you have that kind of cash you can go about calling up someone like Willie Williams and asking him to come up with some ideas on how to go about it. In this case, it apparently only took him one idea according to the guys over at Live Design.
I’m not going to get into the exacting specs of just how they pull this amazing feat of intimacy off, but here’s a quick list of some of the many things involved and you can follow the links if you have a burning curiosity for all things “concert tech” or an extra $ 50 mil burning a hole in your pocket.
- Audio – Incredible 15 zone system Clair i-5 – Yes it goes to 11.
- Lighting – Nope. Not what you think. No Vari-lites here. These are Bad Boys from the guys over at PRG. There’s a lot of them.
- Spotlights – Coupla dozen for sure
- Video – Insane, Custom-designed LED job by the guys over at Barco. Yes it moves. Yes it’s ginormous. Follow the links if you wanna know just how amazingly crazy this thing is.
- Cameras – Robotic Moving Awe-inspiring setup from the guys at Telemetrics
- Massive Superstructure Stage Rig – Bono calls it a UFO. See the show to find out why. Suffice it to say this rig is the key to pulling off the intimacy-on-a-grand-scale concept. Its big, heavy, expensive and they had to build 3 of them.
- Band. Oh yeah – Insert supergroup into the middle of all that technology and Bam! Instant rock concert.
So, there you have a quick breakdown of how to get intimate with a bunch of people at one time. Once you have all the pieces in place the only thing that can stand in your way are traffic problems and social media-ites that like to complain about $20 parking costs.
So, as I close – you are probably asking yourself – did U2 actually pull off getting intimate with an entire city? Look at the pics on their photo page and you tell me. Keep in mind, these shots were from the upper level of the stadium. Intimate enough?
Leave a Comment »
Copyright Jim Petrosino 2009-2011© Jim Petrosino, 2009-2011. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. All Rights Reserved.
- June 2011
- May 2011
- March 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
My Flickr gallery Photos
- peace out tweeps 17 hours ago
- RT @FapShout: Just announced at 2017 Alternative Media Awards, @AnnaBellPeaksXX won @AltAwards Alternative Pornstar Of The Year! https://t… 17 hours ago
- @MaestroClaudio @Donnie_Rock69 Me either, but when else can I get Kentucky bourbon IN KENTUCKY at THE Derby? 17 hours ago
- @MaestroClaudio @Donnie_Rock69 Nice. Im headed to Kentucky first Friday in May 17 hours ago
- 1st year i dont have some variety of basil growing on the porch. temp fluctuates between 54-90F so that might be a good thing. #StupidWX 1 day ago
The Cloud3D 20D Adobe Arizona Atom 1.0 Audio Avatar AZ Beer Blog Browser Camera Canon Chinese Comerica Concert cyber5 Dance Digital Dodge Theatre DodgeTheatre Dolby Dreamweaver Dynamic Pages Fish Flickr Flock Food Glendale Gourmet IMAX Jerome Large Hadron Collider LHC Lightning Livenation Metal Mine model Mountain Movie North Phoenix November Olympus Phoenix Photo photographer Photography Photos physics Problems projection publish Queensryche RealD Recipe Restaurant Restaurant Review Review Rock RSS Shutter Social WebBrowser SP560UZ Starship Star Wars technology Test Tickets Trucks Video Web Development Wine Wireless wordpress